The Council is a supreme body and takes all policy decisions, it meets at least once in a year or as and when there are sufficient items for the agenda, which needs policy decisions. It acts through various Committees and Secretariat. The meetings of the Council are presided over by the President and in his absence by the Vice President.
The Building of the Council is located at G-10/4, Mauve Area, and Islamabad. The PM&DC gets no grants and aid from the Federal government. The Secretariat keeps a close liaison with the Federal and Provincial Governments, Health Departments, Universities, Medical Colleges and allied agencies for speedy implementation and execution of the decision of the Council. It also keeps a liaison with Council and, licensing bodies in other countries to establish close contacts and develop mutual cooperation and understanding. It also initiates exchange of Medical Education Specialist with a view to studying the system of undergraduate and postgraduate medical and dental education in various countries.
The Secretariat has following six (8) sections, each section works under the supervision of an officer.
|- Administration Section
||Deals with administration
|- Council Section
||Deals with Council work
|- Recognition Section
||Recognition of qualification & experience not included in the schedule and Registration of Postgraduate Students
|- Registration Section.
||Issues Registration / Good Standing certificates
|- Faculty Registration Section.
||Deals with the registration of the teaching faculty of Medical/Dental institution
|- Inspection Section.
||Inspection of Medical & Dental Colleges.
|- Computer Section.
||Computer work of all the Sections
|- Accounts Section
||Deals with Accounts & Budgets.
The Council has four provincial sub-offices located in each Provincial Capital i.e. Lahore, Karachi, Peshawar and Quetta. The Sub-Offices provides assistance to doctors in the respective Province apply for registration, experience etc.
Under the Medical & Dental Degrees Ordinance, 1982, PM&DC or any person authorized , and notified is authorized to file complaint against any un-authorized medical practitioner. In exercise of the powers conferred under this Ordinance, PM&DC has authorized in consultation with the various Provincial Governments, officers to take cognizance of the offences under the Medical & Dental Degrees Ordinance, 1982 and file complaint in the court of competent Jurisdiction.
Following officers have been authorized by PM&DC to file complaint against unregistered medical practitioners:
1. Secretary Health, Government of the Punjab.
2. All Members of Pakistan Medical & Dental Council Located in the Province.
3. Director General Health Services.
4. All the eight Directors of Health Services.
5. All medical Superintendents of the Teaching/ GHQ Hospitals.
6. All District Health Officers.
1. Secretary Health, Government of Sindh.
2. All Members of the Pakistan Medical & Dental Council in the Province.
3. Director General Health Services.
4. All Deputy Directors Health Services.
5. All District Health Officers.
1. Secretary Health, Government of N.W.F.P
2. All Members of the Pakistan Medical & Dental Council in the Province
3. Director General Health Service
4. All Deputy Directors Health Service
5. All District Health Officers/Agency Surgeons/Civil Surgeons.
6. All Assistant District health Officers.
1. Secretary Health Department, Government of Baluchistan.
2. All members of the Pakistan Medical & Dental Council in the Province.
3. Director General health Services.
4. Deputy Directors of Health Services.
5. District Health Officers.
In Federal Capital
In the federal Capital Area, the District Health Officers, Islamabad has been authorized to file complaint.