- On the commencement of these regulations, a Pakistani citizen desirous of joining an undergraduate or a postgraduate medical or dental course in any foreign medical or dental institution shall approach the National Examination Board of the Council for issuance of a no objection certificate and provide detailed documentary information regarding the qualification and course and the institution he intends to join.
- After verification as required, if the candidate is found to fulfill criteria for admission and the course and standard of institution are acceptable to the Council, the candidate shall be issued a no objection certificate on a prescribed format certifying that he or she is eligible to join a medical institution outside Pakistan to obtain the medical or dental qualification. The certificate shall indicate that on return after obtaining the foreign medical or dental qualification, the candidate shall obtain an eligibility certificate, (by applying on appendix 8 for basic qualification) to appear in the registration and equivalence examination of the Council conducted by the National Examination Board. Application for the eligibility certificate shall be accompanied by the no objection certificate of the Council to join the course , the original degree or diploma or certificate and marks-sheet original detailed transcript and credit hours of the qualifying examination and equivalence certificate of premedical studies from IBCC. The original certificates shall be returned to the candidate after verifying the same and the copies shall be retained by the Council. The request for issuance of eligibility certificate shall also be accompanied by a Demand Draft/pay order for the specified sum in favour of Pakistan Medical and Dental Council, Islamabad. The fee for the no objection certificate and eligibility certificate shall be as fixed and notified by the Council.
(2)The candidates who have obtained their basic medical or dental qualification from the institutions where medium of instructions is not English, would be required to submit original copy of the IELTS 6.0 score and equivalent in TOFEL test result for issuance of eligibility.
- The issuance of a no objection certificate by the Council to a candidate shall not entitle him to any right whatsoever, other than to take admission in an undergraduate or postgraduate medical course in a foreign medical institute and after graduation, to obtain the eligibility certificate from the registrar to appear in the National Examination Board Examinations.
- A Pakistani citizen desiring to seek registration or equivalence after achieving graduation or postgraduation from a foreign institution , and who meets the requisite prequalification for admission as specified by the Council in its admission criteria and is issued eligibility to appear in the National Examination Board examinations , unless specifically exempted under these regulations shall be required to pass the National Examination Board examinations before the Council grants registration or equivalence to him.
- On the commencement of these regulations, a person who gets admission in any medical or dental course in a foreign country without being in possession of a valid no objection certificate issued by the Council to him prior to joining the course abroad shall not be eligible for processing of registration of his qualification if it is not included in the Second, Third, or Fifth Schedule to the PM&DC Ordinance 1962. No person shall be allowed to appear in the National Examination Board examination without the eligibility certificate issued by the Council. Persons admitted in medical and dental courses on or before the approval of these regulations shall be issued eligibility without the no objection certificate by the Council provided they fulfill all other requirements.
- The Council may refuse eligibility to appear in the National Examination Board examination to any applicant if he or she does not meet the admission and eligibility criteria of the Council.
- (1)For issuance of permission to appear in the National Examination Board examinations basic qualification examination the request shall be made by the candidate each time on the Performa (APPENDIX NO 11 and 12) and shall be accompanied by the Council's no objection certificate to join the course and the eligibility certificate and the previous admit card where applicable.
- The Council shall be free to investigate on its own, in the prescribed manner, into the correctness of information furnished by the candidate in his application or call for any further information in this regard from the candidate and in the event of any information furnished by the candidate being found to be incorrect or false during such investigation or at any subsequent stage, the registrar may refuse to issue the eligibility certificate or , if already issued, may cancel the same. The Council shall initiate appropriate disciplinary proceedings against the offender.
- In case the candidate does not fulfill criteria, the registrar may reject his or her application for issue of eligibility certificate or no objection certificate as the case may be .The registrar shall prohibit the applicant to appear in the National Examination Board examinations, giving the reasons thereof and if the candidate is not satisfied, may appeal against this decision to a committee comprising of Chairman, National Examination Board and two members of the National Examination Board in case of basic qualification or to a committee comprising of Chairman, Standing Recognition Committee and two members of the Standing Recognition Committee in case of postgraduate qualification . The Committee shall have the powers to, hear the appeal, give exemptions on individual merit and decide the matter on behalf of the Council, and this decision shall be final.
- (1) No person shall be allowed to appear in the National Examination Board basic qualification examination unless:
- he is a citizen of Pakistan and possesses any foreign basic medical or dental qualification, either whose name or the institute awarding it are included in the World Directory of Medical Schools, published by the World Health Organization, Global directory of educational institutions for health professions or International Medical Education Directory (IMED) processed by the Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER) or AVECINNA or which is confirmed by the Pakistan Embassy concerned to be a recognized qualification for enrolment as medical or dental practitioner in the country in which the institution awarding the said qualification is situated or as decided by the National Examination Board of the Council
- he has obtained no objection certificate from the Council before joining the course.(to apply on Appendix 11-12)
- he had obtained 'eligibility certificate' to appear in the National Examination Board examination from the Council. (to apply on Appendix 8)
- (1) A person desiring provisional registration shall not have to qualify the National Examination Board examination if he/she has acquired a foreign basic medical or dental qualification which for the time being is included in the Second or Fifth Schedule of the Ordinance, without any prohibiting period.
(2).Graduates from such medical institution as are recognized in the countries of their respective location shall be eligible for registration in Pakistan without National Examination Board examination subject to the condition that such candidates have acquired a standard postgraduate qualification such as MRCP, FRCS, Diplomat or Fellow of American Board which is recognized as registerable by the Council.
(3)For dental graduates the dental member of the Standing Recognition Committee shall be the authority to grant exemptions in the light of the above.
- A candidate who acquires admission after the end of the year of commencement of these regulations into a foreign medical school with less than 60% marks in F.Sc premedical or equivalent qualification shall not be entertained for NEB Examination under any circumstances.
- A Pakistani citizen possessing a postgraduate medical or dental qualification awarded by any medical or dental institution outside Pakistan who is desirous of getting provisional or full registration with the Council shall have to qualify a postgraduate registration examination conducted by the National Examination Board.
Provided that a person desiring registration of his qualification with the Council shall not have to qualify the postgraduate registration examination if his or her foreign postgraduate medical or dental qualification is included in the Third or fifth Schedule of the Ordinance without any prohibiting period. He may apply on appendix 9.
- (1) No person shall be allowed to appear in the National Examination Board postgraduate registration examination unless:
- The case has been referred by the Standing recognition Committee.
- and he or she is a citizen of Pakistan and possesses any foreign postgraduate medical or dental qualification, which is confirmed by the Pakistan Embassy concerned to be a recognized qualification for enrolment as a specialist medical or dental practitioner in the country in which the institution awarding the said qualification is situated; and
- and he or she has obtained 'No objection Certificate' from the Council before proceeding abroad for this course and obtained eligibility certificate on return.( to apply for eligibility for National Examination Board Examination appendix 10)
- If the registrar refuses to grant eligibility to any foreign postgraduate to appear in the National Examination Board examination or any related matter, the Standing Recognition Committee shall act as appellate authority.
- The details regarding the scheme for conducting the postgraduate registration examination shall be conveyed to the eligible candidates by post by the National Examination Board. It shall also be displayed on the official PM&DC website
- The postgraduate registration examination shall be conducted twice every year as per the schedule of examination announced by the National Examination Board.
- The schedule of examination will be conveyed to the eligible candidates by post.
- Format of examination for foreign postgraduates of each Part shall be decided by the National Examination Board and shall be communicated to the candidates at the time issuance of eligibility certificate for appearance in the examination. It shall also be displayed on the official PM&DC website.
- The examination shall consist of Part 1 theory and Part 2 clinical and oral examination. The candidate shall have to pass each part separately.
- The format of Part 1 shall be as decided by the National Examination Board and shall have two papers A and B.
- The result of theory Paper-A &B, shall be announced within one week after the Examination and for passing theory, both papers shall have to be cleared. The result shall also be sent through courier or postal service to all candidates and to those who have passed the theory part shall be informed about the dates of clinical and oral examination. It shall also be displayed on the official PM&DC website. Those students who pass the theory examination will be eligible to appear in the Part-2. i.e. Oral and clinical examination. Theory once cleared will entitle the candidate to sit in clinical/oral examination for a maximum of three consecutive chances ( availed or un-availed).
- The format of the clinical & oral examination shall be as decided by the National Examination Board and shall be communicated to the candidates at the time issuance of eligibility certificate for appearance in the examination.
- Result shall be compiled and declared after both parts i.e theory and clinical and oral have been passed